Ouch! Your back hurts. You’ll go to a doctor if it doesn’t let up soon, but meanwhile, what can you do to treat back pain? Better yet, since you don’t want to simply treat it, what can you to relieve back pain? Wait a minute. What can you do to cure back pain – now?!
While back pain can be excruciating, it is common. It is one of the leading reasons people visit doctors each year. Add those who don’t want to visit a doctor, and the numbers are staggering.
Question is: how can you truly cure back pain?
You Don’t Want to Hear This!
As a chiropractor I will tell you that the best way to cure back pain is to begin, and consistently maintain, regular exercises to strengthen core muscles.
But most people don’t want to hear that.
How about you? If I am right, you probably don’t want to hear that you can cure back pain with regular exercise. You would rather hear that…
* a new chair will cure back pain while you watch TV
* a new prescription drug will cure back pain with daily doses
* a month in bed (paid sick leave) will cure back pain
* you should not exercise at all
I’m sorry, but what you and I really need is exercise that specifically targets the core muscle groups that support our backs.
Exercises to Cure Back Pain
The Texas Back Institute tells us that research shows more than two days of inactivity is harmful when you have back pain. Lying in a bed or reclining chair will only cause your muscles to weaken and become less flexible. As you move around, exercise improves blood flow to discs, joints, and muscles. Exercise relaxes spasms that are causing you pain, and speeds healing.
You need to get up and get gentle exercise if you expect to cure back pain.
The following daily routine will go far toward helping you actually cure back pain and keep it from recurring.
* Morning Rising: Begin your day by getting out of bed with this exercise. Roll on one side. Gently swing your legs to the floor while pushing up with your arms. When you are in a sitting position, stand up. This exercise will remind you every morning of your desire to cure back pain forever.
* Warm-up: Warm up your back before beginning exercises or rushing around getting ready for your day. Bend at the waist, and let your arms hang toward the floor. Do not stretch or bounce. Simply bend and hang, feeling your back lengthen. Then reach slowly for the ceiling, gently stretching upward. A brief, relaxed walk will finish your warm-up.
* Six Exercises:
1. Slippery Heels – Lie on your back on the floor, legs straight. Slowly slide your left heel toward your body, knee bent upward. Then slide the heel back away from your body until your leg is straight again. Repeat 10 times for each leg.
2. Slippery Lap – Stand with your back touching a wall, feet 12″ from the wall. Tighten abdominal muscles, hold, and slowly bend both knees, sliding downward until you form a lap. Hold 30 seconds, and slowly slide up again. Repeat 10 times.
3. High Heels – Stand facing a wall, about 18″ away. Balance your weight evenly on both feet. Slowly lift up only your heels – as though wearing high heel shoes. Then lower your heels slowly back to the floor. Repeat 10 times for each foot.
4. High Legs – Lie on your back, left leg straight, right leg at right angle. Tighten abdominal muscles, and slowly lift straight leg 6 to 12 inches, keeping it straight. Hold 5 seconds, and slowly lower. Repeat 10 times for each leg.
5. Reverse High Legs – Do “high legs” while lying on your stomach on the floor. Hold for 10 seconds, and slowly lower the leg to the floor. Repeat 5 times for each leg.
6. Brake Pedals – Lie on your back on the floor, legs straight. Push toes away as though pushing on 2 brake pedals. Pull the toes back toward your body, as though letting up on the brake pedals. Work your brake pedals up and down. Repeat 10 times.
* Cool-down: Cool down before going on with your day. A brief, relaxed walk is all you need.
Additional Secrets to Cure Back Pain
You can cure back pain by adding these additional secrets to your exercise program. First of all, remember that you should see your health care provider to learn exactly what type of back pain you have, and whether home care is sufficient.
With your providor’s approval, add these steps to cure back pain.
* If you must sit at a computer all day, sit with feet flat on the floor, or use a footrest to relieve back strain and cure back pain.
* Get up and move around for at least 5 minutes out of every hour.
* When standing for extended periods, shift your weight regularly.
* Wear shoes that have soft soles and low heels, preferably no more than 1.5 inches and square in shape. Place inserts in your shoes to correct any incorrect posture.
* Lose weight if you are too heavy. You can cure back pain more quickly if your muscles have less work to do.
* Avoid sitting on a thick billfold. A lot of money might buy back surgery, but you won’t cure back pain by sitting on it or a stack of credit cards and photos.
* Bend at the knees, not at the waist, when lifting something heavy.
* When your doctor says you are ready, begin a program of aerobic exercise to strengthen those core muscles in your back and abdomen. Choose from activities such as jogging, cycling, or swimming.
As long as you try to avoid it, you cannot cure back pain. Talk to your health care provider and create an exercise program that is right for you and your pain.
Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram