After a week or two of care a new patient will often pull us aside.
They go on to describe some aspect of their health that has improved. Only thing, it’s not what prompted them to originally see us for care.
This happens surprisingly often.
They didn’t mention their acid reflux, indigestion or some other condition during our initial visit. That’s understandable. Many people think of chiropractic as something that only helps spinal conditions.
Those who see chiropractic as only a treatment for headaches and back pain overlook something more significant. Namely the role that chiropractic may play in whole body health. Here’s how:
1. Your nervous system controls and regulates every cell, tissue and organ.
2. The nervous system consists of your brain, spinal cord and all your nerves.
3. The most important parts of your nervous system are protected by bone.
4. The moving segments of your spinal column are vulnerable to misalignment.
5. Aberrant spinal biomechanics can affect nervous system communications.
6. Impaired nerve messages can produce problems peripheral to the spine.
7. As nervous system interferences are reduced, symptoms often resolve.
Which raises an important question.
When is a stomach problem a stomach problem? And when is a stomach problem actually a nerve communication problem between the brain and stomach?
It’s the brain that controls your stomach. Just as it controls your lungs, your knees and every other function of your body. It controls and regulates every bodily function via nerve messages sent over the spinal cord. Interference from the moving bones protecting these nerves could show up as a stomach problem. But the real problem is along the spinal column. Correct the spinal problem and the stomach problem often resolves.
Does that make chiropractic a treatment for stomach problems? Of course not. The intent of chiropractic care is to restore proper function to a compromised nervous system. Instead of ‘side effects’ the happy result is ‘positive effects’ that many patients notice as their care progresses.
If you’re concerned about your posture, consider bringing them in for a FREE check, Book Online today here.
Dr Theo Blöte